‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

The 'Sing' movie poster.

The 'Sing' movie poster.

Bellows Times

Bellows Times

The 'Sing' movie poster.

Brittney Cox, Staff Reporter

Illumination Studios, the makers that brought movies such as ‘Despicable Me’ and “The Secret Life of Pets” bring to the theaters “Sing.” The movie “Sing,” has been nominated for two Golden Globes, one for Best Original Song and Best Animated Motion Picture.

‘Sing,’ follows the strive of a Koala Bear, Buster Moon, voiced by Matthew McConaughey as he tries to save the fallen theater that he and his father admired and was passed down to Buster. Buster loves the theater and knows there is a reason that it needs to be saved. Buster is a scoundrel and an optimist and will do whatever it takes to save the theater he loves. With one final shot to lose or take it all, Buster Moon hosts a singing contest hoping to captivate the public’s eye and save the theater. The competition puts him in the company of an arrogant mouse voiced by Seth MacFarlane, a shy elephant voiced by Tori Kelly, a working mother pig voiced by Reese Witherspoon, a gorilla following his dream voiced by Taron Egerton, and a teenage punk-rock porcupine voiced by Scarlett Johansson.

Along the journey to the big night of the competition, all the animals learn about themselves and who they want to be. They learn that hardships bring out the tough, and that everyone falls and stumbles and we all reach our lowest points. But as Buster says, “When you’ve reached rock bottom, there’s only one way to go, and that’s up!” and that is exactly what all the animals learn throughout this journey leading up to competition, each undermining inner doubts.

The film is filled with beautiful 3D animation, and the details are fantastic as they have creatively brought to the big screen a wonderful tale and picture that delivers a beautiful message to never give up on your dreams, and never give up on yourself.

Along with the main cast are the talents of John C. Reilly who voices Buster’s friend Eddie, Jennifer Hudson who voices young Nana, and Garth Jennings who provides the voice of Miss Crawly, Buster’s secretary and personal assistant.

The movie was stunning in picture and delivered beautiful morals, but it was advertised as an amazing tale and it sadly fell short of that because up to be an amazing tale depicted through advertisements sadly fell short of its build up and development depicted through its extravagant promotions and publicity. Due to the movie’s set up of following not one main protagonist, but following all six provided misguidance as the movie tended to jump in between these different viewpoints leaving the viewer to catch up rather quickly, thus allowing some minor plot holes and missing pieces, that if present would set the movie higher.

‘Sing’s’ soundtrack is filled with the voice actors’ amazing musical talents as they can not only voice act but sing extravagantly and provide not only stunning covers of songs but even an original song that is sung by Scarlett Johansson. Rotten Tomatoes deems sing, “Whether old or young, a fan of pop or not, Sing is an up-beat spectacle that pushes the triumph of teamwork and the importance of trust, and is undeniably a pleasure to behold,” and gives it an overall 75 percent audience score.

Peter Travers a writer from Rolling Stone says, “It’s the latest from Chris Meledandri’s Illumination Entertainment, which gave us Despicable Me and The Secret Life of Pets, thank you very much. But don’t get your hopes too high this time. Sing doesn’t have the grit or the grace notes of Zootopia, which it resembles only in its concept of an animal kingdom.”

If you haven’t seen this uplifting humorous film then give it try and see for yourself if “Sing” deserves a standing ovation or if it falls flat. So what’s your opinion? How many stars would you give it. Take a side. Is it awesome or not, and why? You be the judge

• Tomatalk Show

School Rivalries

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

News

Students around campus lacking sleep

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

News

Tomatalk Show: Starsearch Talent Show 2017

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

Sports

Track and field shows promise this season

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

Feature

Students showcase hidden talents around campus

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

News

Gardens: proven to make owners happier

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

News

Bee population in decline, insects facing extinction

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

Sports

NFL off season drawing in more fans than regular season

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

Arts & Entertainment

Nintendo’s biggest product of the year: the Nintendo Switch

• ‘Sing’ falls short of the high note

News

Inslee limits state involvement with federal immigration services

‘Sing’ falls short of the high note