‘Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2’ best of 2017

Edgar Cazares, Sports Editor

In 2014, Disney and Marvel studios released a film that seemed to be a risk to to its unpopularity in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’. It was based on a comic book that wasn’t as popular as others, such as ‘Iron man’, ‘Spider-man’ and ‘Captain America’. However, they blew everyone’s minds away when ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ was released. Some may say it’s been Marvel’s greatest movie ever produced. The hype and love that movie received was what this series needed for a second movie and in May, 2017 everyone received ‘Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2’.

Just like the first movie it was well received and was as fun as the first, probably more fun than the last. With an amazing soundtrack, 80’s references and lots of colorful action this film is what everyone was hoping for. For a true Marvel and Sci-Fi movie fan, this is one to watch in theaters. This film had a great storyline including Chris Pratt’s character, Peter Quill and father Ego the Living Planet, played by Kurt Russell. The loveable baby Groot returned in his amazing role played by Vin Diesel and did not disappoint with many funny and adorable scenes. Groot was a fan favorite in the last film, alongside Rocket Raccoon played by Bradley Cooper. The ultimate duo did what made fans love them love them in the first and entertained the newcomers. Not only that, but we also get to see the ultimate sister rivalry with Gamora and Nebula as they duke it out through this movie.

Overall, this movie is among one of the best movies of 2017. ‘Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2’ received a ‘fresh’ rating according to Rotten Tomatoes with an 81% rating. From watching it when it came out it really seemed like a fun and colorful film, but as it goes on deeper into this movie, it really feels like a change of mood and things seem to be going in a really dark directions. James Gunn did a fantastic job with this movie and did not disappoint. This was a fantastic movie, not too far from the first. Both of these films are great in their own way. However Volume 2 had more emotion and that’s what the fans need sometimes. They need to be able to connect with these characters to be able to love and relate.