Prom: symbolizing an important landmark for high school students

Taylor Hunzeker

Madison Morgan, Editor-in-Chief

Seas of girls flood the department stores looking for the perfect dress. Boys wander into tux shops, perusing the selections, unsure of how best to match their date. Both sexes are shopping in anticipation for prom.

“Prom is the crown event of high school. There’s graduation, obviously, but prom is ‘the dance.’ Everyone goes to prom…everyone kind of looks forward to [it]. I would encourage someone to go to prom because it’s a lot of fun,” said senior Natalie Draper.

Teacher Cindy Miller said she also thinks prom is important, because it’s one of the last group events for seniors before graduation in June.  

“[Prom is] something that you’ll always remember, whether you go with a [date] or with a group of friends. It’s kind of the last hurrah before graduation,” she said.

And for girls, Miller said she thinks prom is an opportunity for them to feel special.

“[Prom is] something to do to remember your senior year, and I think every girl needs to be a princess at least once in their life,” she said. “They need to dress up and they need to look beautiful and feel that…they’re worthy and that people will look at them, and say that they’re pretty. Every girl needs to know that they’re pretty.”        

Mrs. Miller and FCCLA are also hosting “Cinderella’s Closet,” where students can rent a prom dress for free. Photo by Taylor Hunzeker.

Brandee Veitenheimer, a math teacher, feels that prom is an important school experience because it strays from academics.

“I think prom is important because I think it’s important that students have experiences outside of academic areas. I think it helps for a couple reasons. I think it builds school culture, and trust, and it makes kids feel like family, and it’s fun,” she said. “It’s nice to go to school activities that are not sitting in class.”

This year’s junior and senior prom is from 8 to 11 p.m. May 6 at the Reach Museum in Richland. Tickets are $20 with ASB, and $25 without ASB in the ASB offices during lunch and after school.