NFL off season drawing in more fans than regular season

The NFL Pro Bowl, where the NFL's best players have the last game of the season before heading into the offseason.

Phot courtesy of Pixabay.com

Phot courtesy of Pixabay.com

Edgar Cazares, Sports Editor

Many fans will argue that the NFL regular season is the best time of the year, but is it really? The regular season showcases some of the best football of the year and one of the biggest sporting events of all, the Super Bowl. However, is the NFL off season really the most exciting time during the year?

“The first part of the off season is very uneventful and boring. Once the combine and draft come along, more people get excited again because their favorite teams get new, younger talent to help their team this next season,” said sophomore Brady Volland.

Common during the off season is free agency. Free agency is a time where players get cut from their previous teams and go on the market for other franchises to add them to the roster.

“I think the regular season is much more interesting than the off season. The off season is just preparation for the regular season. No actual football occurs. My team, the Green Bay Packers, are generally uneventful in the off season, so I’d much rather choose the regular season because I get to watch them play football for at least 16 weeks,” said Volland on his preference between the off season or the regular season.

Important dates during the off season include Feb. 14, where NFL clubs begin to sign players whose 2016 contracts have expired. The first day for teams to designate franchise or transition players is Feb. 15, and from Feb. 28 – March 6 is the NFL scouting combine.

“The NFL offseason is important because it’s good to see who gets drafted where and what’s going to happen…in the actual regular season. The regular season is fun to watch, but the off season is more important just because we see who goes where and what’s happening with teams all around the NFL. My team is the Arizona Cardinals and I haven’t been following much on them. Hopefully we get some good pickups,” said sophomore Caesar Salas.

It’s really up to personal opinion on whether the off season or regular season is more exciting. But no matter what happens, all fans hope their team does well for the upcoming season to make the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl to win a Lombardi trophy.