Movie review: The Grinch (2000 version)

Jacqueline Arnold, Staff Reporter

The Grinch is based on a book written by the famous Dr. Seuss in 1957. The movie premiered in the year 2000, a big budget remake of the original short film made in 1966.  It was directed by Don Howard, and featured Jim Carrey, Taylor Momson, and Jeffery Tambor.

The Grinch is the second highest-grossing holiday film of all time with $345,141,403 worldwide, was rated a 5.8/10 on MetaCritic.com, and is also rated PG. The storyline begins with a snowflake that exists the magical land of Whoville. In Whoville, live the Whos, a society of munchkin-like people. All the Whos love Christmas, although just on the outskirts of town lives the Grinch. The Grinch is a nasty creature that hates Christmas, and plans to steal it away from the Whos which he hates as well. Meanwhile, as he attempts to steal Christmas, he comes across an eight year old child, Cindy Lou Who, who tries to befriend him.

As a child, The Grinch was my favorite holiday film. At the begging of the movie, I found myself scared of the Grinch character, and especially the beginning scene of him scaring off teenage Who’s. I enjoyed how the plot adds a twist to the typical holiday movie, adding scary scenes that make younger children scream and jump.

Although I liked it, some kids may not. The movie itself had a lot of work put into it. With amazing sets, characters, and acting, I could almost find it realistic. Jim Carrey, being my favorite actor, did an amazing job at playing the role of the Grinch. He brought a very comical side to the movie, making it unforgettable. I like how much work he put into this particular movie. I still find The Grinch to be my first movie pick during the holidays.

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• Movie review: The Grinch (2000 version)

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

2019

All eyes on us

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review

Movie review: The Grinch (2000 version)