The Kings of Summer Rules

Andy Ha, Staff Reporter

The coming-of-age indie film which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival last year under the name Toy’s House has found a way to charm its audience. The story tells of two best friends on the verge of adulthood struggling to deal with life in society. It also tells how even though one wants to live without any rules, having rules is what keeps a person living. The film takes the audience on a journey that will leave the viewer with a new perspective of why there are rules and why people should follow these rules because without rules, one is not living, they are just surviving. The cast, which is led by Melissa & Joey star Nick Robinson, former Hannah Montana star Moises Arias, and Super 8 actor Gabriel Basso give funny performances that help people relate to the characters. It is what every coming-of-age teen film should be like: heartfelt, emotional, inspirational and overall, a feel good movie.

The plot of the film is that two best friends want to escape society. The two friends, Joe (Robinson) and Patrick (Basso) along with a strange kid, Biaggio (Arias), run away to live life in the woods. The film begins with the guys facing everyday problems in their teen lives. Having annoying parents, having parents who don’t care, or basically being the outcast are the problems shown in this movie. The film continues with the three guys running to the woods where it shows how they live and try to survive as humans living with no rules.

It starts out happy with them learning survival skills and learning to live off what the land provides and enjoying their new lives in the woods. It later takes a dramatic turn when romance takes place and their friendships and bonds are put on the line. As with any normal teen film now a days, there is a love triangle. The film continues with all the drama and craziness in a teen’s life. It becomes a learning experience, where they give a message about friendship that was being shown throughout the film. The film overall, even though it has its normal cliché moments, is a good movie. Score: 4 out of 5.

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• The Kings of Summer Rules

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

• The Kings of Summer Rules

2019

All eyes on us

• The Kings of Summer Rules

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

• The Kings of Summer Rules

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review

The Kings of Summer Rules