‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

Emily Aardahl, Opinion Editor

Disney fans will be glad to know that the Disney’s latest film, ‘Big Hero 6’, definitely didn’t disappoint. Sometimes movies don’t live up to their hype, but ‘Hero’ had audiences completely absorbed from start to finish.
The film begins with the protagonist, a 14-year-old named Hiro Hamada, bot fighting in an alley in the fictional city of San Fransokyo. To the shock of every spectator, he manages to win a match against the reigning champion of the ring, pulling in a huge wad of cash that nearly gets him beat up by said ex-champion’s cronies…if his older brother, Tadashi, hadn’t showed up to pull him out of trouble.
Despite the fact that Hiro graduated high school at 13, he and his brother have the typical big brother-little brother relationship—Tadashi calls him a knucklehead for going to a bot-fight, and Hiro deflects the comment with his own little quip about how technically it’s betting on bot-fighting that’s illegal.
The thing that made the movie for many people was how all the conversations the characters had (most notably the Hamada brothers) were realistic. Dialogue flowed along without pause, aided by the gestures and expressions of the characters which were also highly realistic. It felt like Hiro was just a regular teenage boy, rather than a regular animated teenage boy starring in a movie that was the product of millions of dollars of work.
That aside, by far the best part of the movie was the portrayal of Hiro’s depression after his brother’s untimely death. None of the characters told Hiro to “get himself together” or to “just cheer up,” as some people are prone to do. His aunt and his friends (a quartet of Tadashi’s old friends from college) were very understanding of his situation, and Tadashi’s robot project, Baymax, is instrumental in his recovery.
‘Big Hero 6’ had echoes of ‘Lilo and Stitch’—an older sibling with a younger sibling in an adjusted living situation along with their weird not-human companion. Like ‘Lilo and Stitch,’ ‘Big Hero 6’ also emphasized the relationship between the younger sibling and the not-human companion…Lilo is to Stitch as Hiro is to Baymax.
This movie gets a rating of 5 out of 5 for its accurate portrayal of real-life problems and conversations, along with its action-packed middle to end segment that’ll leave moviegoers on the edges of their seats.

HAHAHA I WIN

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• ‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

• ‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

2019

All eyes on us

• ‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

• ‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review

‘Big Hero 6’ breaks big in box office