‘Boot Camp’: an online story to a published paperback

Taylor Hunzeker, Editor-in-Chief

Boot Camp by Gina Christie

The cover of ‘Boot Camp’ by Gina Christie. Photo courtesy of www.pulsepub.net

‘Boot Camp’ is a 338 page novel that follows the life of 18-year-old Whitney. She grew up not being athletic and always being picked last for athletic activities in gym class, but that all changed.

It was only months away until her freshman year of college, and it was a stressful time because her older sister was getting married at the end of the summer. Whitney realized that she should probably get her body a little more toned and fit so she could look good in her bridesmaid dress. That was when her mother suggested for her to attend a fitness boot camp. She had no idea how strict and long the camp would be until it was too late to turn back.

With determination and hard trials, Whitney learned how to work out by running up and down beaches and hiking steep hills with her personal trainer, Axel Chandler, a 22-year-old man who had a mysterious dark past and a love for taking out his emotions on a boxing bag.

While working out nonstop every day and eating bland salads, Whitney also learned more about her family’s past and discovered her bully from high school had a secret she never suspected. Whitney discovered new friends and questioned old ones, all the while struggling with her inner negative thoughts about her body image. Axel taught Whitney not only how to do a proper push up, but how to find positivity in herself.

Author Gina Christie started out her writing career in elementary school when she found her love for writing. She later made an account on Wattpad- a writing community where people can read short stories, poems, and book series- and at the age of 13, she started writing ‘Boot Camp.’ It was published on Wattpad Aug. 14, 2015. ‘Boot Camp’ also became a 2015 Watty’s winner- a contest on Wattpad where writers submit a story into the many different categories where they are voted on. With thousands of reads and votes on the book, Christie got the book officially published Oct. 11.