DC cinematic franchises: a failing and unsuccessful Marvel copycat

comicbookmovie.com

Edgar Cazares, Sports Editor

The DC Extended Universe (DCEU) hasn’t been very impressive as of late. The comic book’s cinematic world has so far produced three movies, but has greatly disappointed.

Three movies isn’t enough to solidify a movie universe. ‘Man of Steel’ was the DCEU’s best and first movie, and even the movie’s quality was terrible. The 2013 film had a few good moments, such as the fight scene with General Zod, but they were few and overwhelmed by the many more awful moments.

One thing the DCEU fails to do is to feature a true evil villain, one that many want to see and is as powerful as their comic book counterparts. It is true that movies cannot exactly replicate a character as accurately as they are in the comics, but movie portrayals can come closer to meeting those expectations then they have.

Suicide Squad was by far the worst DC movie to date. The plot was going nowhere, and the supposed main villain was represented more as an antihero, with the actual main villain being an unforeseen lead character. How could a movie mess up that badly? Suicide Squad was a movie with characters who served no purpose. Killer Croc, Slipknot, and Captain Boomerang had no point but to be comic relief. The movie had many poor performances with a terrible plot overall.

“I think it’s rushed. I think they’re trying too hard to be like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If they like, slowed it down and made each character have their own movie on their own and kind of develop them, they might do better but it’s just rushed,” said sophomore Elijah Dobin on if the DCEU is doing a good job with their movies.

Senior Sam Perrins thinks otherwise, saying, “I think they’re doing the best that they can do with what they have. They are very behind the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People are eating up these movies where all of their favorite heroes are in one movie. Since the DC Extended Universe hasn’t had time to develop single characters with their own movies, they’re having to just throw them in the combined movie and make prequels. ‘Batman vs. Superman’ was a good movie. I enjoyed it. But people didn’t enjoy it because we haven’t been introduced to this Ben Affleck Batman with prior movies, like we have with Marvel’s Iron Man and his three solo movies.”

The DC Extended Universe has not been able to compete with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, who have been able to develope their characters for the last eight years. There should be no reason for the DCEU to play catch-up with Marvel this late in the game. They should take their time and develop what they have now into quality products, which is something they’ve recently failed at doing.