‘The Thinning’: lacking substance and emotion

Back to Article
Back to Article

shockya.com

shockya.com

shockya.com

Tyler Ackert, Staff Reporter

‘The Thinning’, a mystery and suspense film directed by Michael J. Gallagher, was released in October of 2016. It is set in the future where the world’s landmasses have been ruined due to a global warming event which left the world with no room for growth. Countries have resorted to killing off the elderly or limiting families to one child each. The U.S., on the other hand, came up with a program that weeds out the less intelligent students. This process is called the thinning. Students take a test to see if they are smart enough to stay alive and live in the country. They attend school in the hopes that they test high enough in the thinning. In this fictionalized world, only the best is what society wants.

The strategy of this community makes sense if it’s striving to be greatly educated and advanced, but in the process, it’s eliminating all emotion and reasoning. The way the society operates forces everyone to live up to standards and requirements without any freedom or choice. The main characters in the movie are Laina Michaels and Blake Redding, played by Peyton List and Logan Paul respectively. Laina and Blake fight the regular standards of living that the forces upon them. They fight to bring down the system and change things forever.

After the introduction of both characters, the movie begins to fall apart. The backstory for the characters was interesting, but it did not successfully help the viewer to emotionally invest in the character. When tragedy strikes near the beginning of the film, it’s hard to feel the characters’ emotions. Viewers did not feel connected with the characters, only amused by them.

The movie had a great concept and idea, but small mistakes were made throughout the film that reduced its quality.