Nintendo’s biggest product of the year: the Nintendo Switch

The Nintendo Switch at a gaming event. Photo courtesy of investors.com

EPA/Newscom

EPA/Newscom

Taylor Hunzeker, Editor-in-Chief

As of March 3, the Nintendo Switch is now available to the public. The system’s design is created to have the function of a traditional home console, a portable system, and a touchscreen tablet with wireless controllers, marking a first in gaming history. It’s designed to go wherever you go and brings the game to life with its detachable controls.

The Nintendo Switch can be argued as one of the biggest hype ups of gaming in 2017. When Nintendo first came out with the Switch’s commercial, the views started piling up, and word inevitably spread. The video ‘First Look at Nintendo Switch’ released on Nintendo’s YouTube channel in October of 2016 now has over 28 million views.

On the first day of its release, Nintendo reported that the Switch was the fastest-selling gaming console in the company’s history. In the first weekend of it being released, the Switch brought lots of viewers and buyers to the stores and launches. In the UK, the Nintendo Switch sold roughly over 80,000 consoles during its opening weekend. That doubled the sales of Wii U’s initial weekend sales, but it did fall short of the first weekend sale of the 3DS.

After a January press event, Nintendo released the information of at least 80 third-party titles in development for the console from over 50 gaming creating developers. Prior to the console’s unveiling, big gaming creators such as Square Enix and Ubisoft confirmed their involvement with the Nintendo Switch’s library of games, games including Just Dance 2017, Project Sonic 2017, Dragon Quest X, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wind are in development for the Switch.

Since 2014, Nintendo has had some potholes in sales and had been suffering from financial losses. Now with the Nintendo Switch, the gaming company hopes to get back on their feet and continue to entertain gamers with new fantasies and new levels of excitement.nd