A new twist played on Serkis’s new film “Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle”

Maddie Briggs, Sports Editor

By Maddie Briggs

Released on Netflix Dec. 7 a new twist placed from Rudyard Kipling’s story “The Jungle Book” in the tale “Mowgli: ‘Legend of the Jungle” in the new adaptation directed by Andy Serkis, it set a gloomier look on the story of Mowgli that greatly contrasts from Disney’s interpretation.

Mowgli’s tale goes to a different angle where Mowgli has to choose where he belongs showing elements of his life in two completely different worlds. With the threat of Shere Khan coming back to the jungle. Mowgli’s life has become difficult and has to pass the test in his pack or has to go back to the man village and be with his own kind.

Serkis had his inspiration and wanted to tell Mowgli’s story in a new light. Exploring the darker elements of Mowgli’s story in his adaptation that no one has yet done, Serkis expresses that “Mowgli: ‘Legend of the Jungle” was always meant to be PG-13 and would make his film have darker themes and be scary and frightening in certain moments throughout the film.

Mowgli, played by Rohan Chand, did an excellent job playing as Mowgli and put much work to become his character. Mowgli’s wolf parents Akela, voiced by Peter Mullan, Nisha, voiced by Naomie Harris, and Messua his human caretaker, played by Freida Pinto, played as the parent figures to Mowgli and were necessary for him to see both sides as they made him feel safe and loved.

The role that I thought lacked and gave the story a two dimensional storyline was Mowgli’s wolf friend Bhoot, voiced by Louis Serkis, which gave the story the element of belonging and had very little parts, and it could have made the story stronger if he had more parts and added to the story rather than being just a secondary character. Leaving a story that could have more character development and seemed to rush over the fact of story and didn’t include Mowgli’s relationship with his pack.

I recommend that younger audiences not watch, as the PG-13 rating gave the movie more edge to work with and dive deeper into a darker story than other adaptations. I enjoyed watching Mowgli’s story in a new light although it would have been nice to have seen more about younger Mowgli and showed a part of his past to see what life for him then was like. Other than that Serkis did a fantastic job giving Mowgli’s story more on the darker aspects of the jungle life and gave a sense or reality rather than a fairy tale.

I wish Serkis had explored more parts and more background of the jungle life. Altogether it was a great film that kept me going until the end and gave the story in a fantastic look in a more animalist look that do seem weird at first but easy to get used to as the story continues. I would rate “Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle” 4 out 5 stars.