Students participate in last Friday’s walkout hoping to create change in our school

Students hope students will practice more empathy for others

Jaida+Miller+participating+in+the+walkout+on+Friday.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jaida Miller participating in the walkout on Friday.

Charlene Hardy

Charlene Hardy

Charlene Hardy

Eyerusalem Questad, Print Editor

On Friday, Oct. 12, about 50 students participated in an organized walkout right outside our campus. They explain the reasons they took part in the event.

Senior Michele White

Q: Why are you doing the walkout?

A:We are here to promote love not hate and lately a lot of the students have been feeling unwelcome and unwanted, but we just want to spread love. Diversity matters and we are trying to promote that and celebrate our differences whether it be our color, our race, religion, or anything we are trying to spread. I hope that the staff and especially the principal take notice and start doing something about the hateful [attitudes] that seem to have grown roots here at the school. {By} having the students come out here {the staff has} to listen and that is what we want. We just want a positive learning environment.

Senior Jaida Miller

Q: Why are you doing the walkout?

A: I did the walkout because I think it’s important to support every single facet of this school and not just one.

Q: What do you think the walkout is going to accomplish?

A: Honestly I don’t know if it will accomplish much in terms of reform, but like in terms like making people feel supported and included and making people self aware of the consequence of their actions, I think it will do miles for this school. Even if it doesn’t accomplish anything on paper, socially I think at school it will.

Junior Vanessa Gomez

Q: Why are you doing the walkout?

A: I feel like as a student attending Kamiakin High School, I am entitled to my own opinions as well as students who also have their opinions out in public. I am here to just to share my beliefs and and what I believe in, and what I believe in is that everyone should be safe and be happy here at school.

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• Students participate in last Friday’s walkout hoping to create change in our school

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

2019

All eyes on us

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review