The Joy of Winter Wishes

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Joy of Winter Wishes

The Giving Tree, located in the library.

Louis Barrett, Staff Reporter

As the holiday season approaches, Kamiakin ASB is spreading the gift of giving with Winter Wishes and the giving tree. Publicized around the school, students are encouraged to make a wish for the event. If possible, these wishes will be granted by ASB or through the giving tree, where other students can pick wishes up and grant them.

ASB officers Maysen Chelin and Mylee Lindholm are two of the many ASB students helping out with Winter Wishes. Chelin said, “I think it’s about the joy that we get to bring to others on our campus, especially at this time of year when it’s just so joyful.”

Students can wish for wants or needs, for either themselves or others. “We get a lot of wants, but it’s really cool when teachers wish for students or other teachers and show what they’re noticing about our school. This shows ASB what our school really needs and it opens our eyes to many different lifestyles.” Lindholm said.

Chelin added, “It provides us an opportunity to be selfless and not expect anything in return. It’s something that provides that culture shift that we, in ASB, are working on so Kamiakin can be that home and family that everyone wants to come to.”

Kamiakin holds a diverse selection of students, many of which will positively benefit from the actions of Winter Wishes. Students have an opportunity to help each other through the workings of the giving tree. The anonymous aspect allows even more individuals to step forward for such an occasion.

“In this winter season, just go out, be a light no matter where you go and bring that joy and kindness you’d want returned to you. I think if everyone gives that out to the campus, it’ll be a way better place.” Chelin said.

You can grab wishes off of the giving tree in the library until Dec. 11 and they must be handed in by Dec. 13. Big wishes will be granted at the assembly on Dec. 19, while Winter Wishes itself will run until the day after.

The Joy of Winter Wishes