Team Read

Chloe Grundmeier, Staff Reporter

Team Read is a program where high school students can go spend time with kids in first through third grade to tutor them to understand reading more.

The group of approximately 20 high school students spend their seventh hour four days a week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, at a few of the nearest elementary schools, like Sunset View, Edison, and Hawthorne, teaching their assigned students how to read, helping them with their homework, and helping them be better in class.

Sophomore Melissa Knopp is one of the members of the small group of students at Kamiakin who spends her time with two different students a week. “I like it a lot, it’s really fun. Plus I love kids, so it’s great.” Knopp said.

The already small class will be losing a few students at the start of the new semester. More students are needed in the class. It counts as an occupational education credit and will not interfere with already planned schedules, seeing as it is a seventh hour.

“The kids are great. It’s definitely one of my favorite classes of the day.” Knopp said. “So many of them really want to be there.”

So to all you kid-lovers out there who need to satisfy your occupational education credit, Team Read is definitely the class for you.

Team Read