How Social Anxiety May Be Affecting Your Life

Is+social+anxiety+affecting+your+life%3F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Is social anxiety affecting your life?

Is social anxiety affecting your life?

Is social anxiety affecting your life?

Is social anxiety affecting your life?

Emily Baer, Staff Reporter

As teenagers, social anxiety is a concept that we hear about often. The stress of school and the views of the world can weigh heavy upon our shoulders. However, what exactly is social anxiety? As defined by The Social Anxiety Institute, social anxiety is the fear of interaction with other people that brings on self-consciousness, feelings of being negatively judged and evaluated, and, as a result, leads to avoidance. Along with instances like these, many teenagers do not socialize because they feel as though they are inept when it comes to talking to others.

The stress of life can really weigh heavy on teens, the years they spend in high school determine the rest of their lives. How would one expect this to effect one’s life? The answer is clear, sometimes the stress is too much and unbeknownst to the student, they have allowed the stress to control their life. Often, this stress turns into social anxiety.

Often times we put others on a pedestal above us, thinking that they are above us and that it would be preposterous if we were to talk to them. However, this is hardly ever true. Students should view each others as equals, because that is exactly what we are. High School can be a roller coaster of ups and downs; the years we spend here can either be the best of our lives, or the worst. The stress of daily student life can be hard on someone who has a social anxiety disorder.

Mostly when a person has a disorder such as this one they fear that he or she will look bad, make mistakes, or be embarrassed and humiliated in front of others. It can be a very disabling fear, and the anxiety can even result to panic attacks. Social interactions can make a person feel distressed, and since nearly nobody enjoys feeling this way, they may choose to completely avoid talking to people.

Teenager’s lives are often greatly affected when they have social anxiety, whether it is a severe case or not. A big key of life is talking to others, and by avoiding this teens can miss a lot of opportunities in their lives. The fear of socializing can interfere with a teenager’s student life, group projects can cause them distress, and table member teamwork can be difficult. Social anxiety limits what a student is comfortable doing, even asking a peer to borrow a pencil could be stressful for them.

“I think a lot of us have it without even realizing it.” Sophomore Erica Bergman said.

This statement could not be any truer. Teens often pass off their anxieties as just normal stress or nervousness, and by doing that those feelings are left to boil within them until someday they erupt like a volcano and disrupt their everyday life.

Some emotional symptoms of social anxiety according to mayoclinic.org are: fear of situations in which you might be judged, worrying about embarrassing or humiliating yourself, concern that you’ll offend someone, intense fear of interacting or talking to strangers, fear that others will notice that you look anxious, and having anxiety in anticipation of a fear or embarrassment.

Physical symptoms also mentioned on mayoclinic.org are: upset stomach or nausea, fast heartbeat, dizziness or lightheadedness, trouble catching your breath, confusion or feeling “out of body”, and muscle tension.

Social Anxiety is a serious problem, it halts the progress of student life, and results in multiple stressful situations for teens. Some may regard such problems as nothing, thinking that they are overreacting and that they don’t need help, but this is hardly ever the case.

If you feel like this type of anxiety is disrupting your life, contact a doctor. However, if you are a little weary of speaking to a doctor just yet, talk to an adult or a very good friend about how you are feeling. It is best to get help when you are experiencing an anxiety such as this one.

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• How Social Anxiety May Be Affecting Your Life

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

2019

All eyes on us

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review