Swing Into Spring: a great end to the jazz year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Amber Perry (left) and sophomore Alex Veysey (right) sing their duet 'Baby It's Warm Outside,' a play on 'Baby It's Cold Outside,' during the Swing Into Spring Dessert Dance

Marjean Dunn

Marjean Dunn

Marjean Dunn

Chloe Grundmeier, Editor-in-Chief

Each year, the instrumental and vocal jazz programs team up to put on a night of dancing, music, and desserts known as the Swing Into Spring Dessert Dance. This evening is prepared for weeks, and all the students participating in this event have a great time. “A lot of people showed up and most of the musicians and the audience seemed to have a lot of fun,” junior Melissa Knopp said.

These musicians and vocalists had to learn a very long set list and while many of them agreed the night could’ve gone smoother, the whole audience loved it. “More preparation would’ve been nice but I still think it was a success. The band and choir got the opportunity to perform in a realistic setting and the Swing Club got to dance, have fun, and listen to live jazz music. I had a lot of fun,” junior Michael DeFord said.

In past years, the Swing Club hasn’t been as active in the jazz night as they were this year. The musicians and vocalists were given a break from playing and singing and were given the opportunity to learn how to swing dance from the more experienced members of the Swing Club. “My favorite part was the chance to teach some of the musicians and singers a few of the swing dance moves,” DeFord said.

Most years, the instrumental and vocal programs work alone to complete this stressful night. This year, the ASB offered to help advertise as well as set up and ensure that the night went smoothly. Because of the help from the ASB, more members of the community were made aware of the jazz night, and a few members from the assisted living facilities were able to enjoy the night of jazz.

Many of the students who’d attended took the 40s and 50s theme seriously and dressed up in faux furs, poodle skirts, and other 40s and 50s attire which brought a whole new element to the night.

Overall, the night was enjoyed by many and was considered a success. “I came to support some friends, and my favorite part was definitely the huge dance break in the middle. That was really fun,” sophomore Erica DeMers said.

Junior Amber Perry (left) and sophomore Alex Veysey (right) sing their duet ‘Baby It’s Warm Outside,’ a play on ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside,’ during the Swing Into Spring Dessert Dance