Refugees flee the Middle East to Europe and the U.S.

Madison Morgan, Staff Writer

Eighteen thousand Syrians will be admitted into the U.S. in 2016 after the terror and panic of the ongoing Syrian civil wars.

This act follows a previous influx of over 477,900 immigrants to Eastern and Western Europe, largely due to German chancellor Angela Merkel opening her country’s borders to refugees. On Tuesday, Sept. 15, after an overwhelmingly large number of immigrants entered the country, Hungary declared a state of crisis along its border with Serbia, resulting in the detainment of the migrants. Hungarian officials, on Sept. 16, reportedly used water cannons and tear gas on the refugees waiting at the Hungarian-Serbian border.

“We hope the messages we have been sending migrants for a long time have reached them,” said Gyorgy Bakondi, an aide to Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary. “Don’t come. Because this route doesn’t lead you where you want to go.”

Migrants then made their way to Northern Europe, crossing into Sweden and Finland, with the latter beginning to tighten borders and check those crossing the boundary.

“The Finnish Immigration Service said Monday that last week number of asylum-seekers arriving in Finland hit 2,800, rising more than 60 percent from the previous week,” reported the Associated Press Sept. 21.

Refugees are still waiting to enter into European Union countries through Turkey, but have been held at the Turkish border by authorities and officials.

While most of these European countries have openly accepted refugees, America is taking a more cautious approach, due to the risks of unknowingly admitting a terrorist into the country.

“Our enemy now is Islamic terrorism, and these people are coming from a country filled with Islamic terrorists,” said Representative Peter T. King, Republican of New York. “We don’t want another Boston Marathon bombing situation.”

Though America’s efforts in helping the Middle Eastern refugees is a noble cause, the American populace must be careful in allowing refugees from a known terrorist state to enter the country. America must be vigilant in keeping out unwanted terrorists.

In January, two Algerian migrants living in France murdered 16 people, from employees of the French magazine Charlie Hebdo to pedestrians shopping in a kosher grocery store. On Sept. 11, 2001, al Qaeda affiliated terrorists living in America on temporary visas hijacked four passenger airliners and attacked the New York Twin Towers and the Pentagon, resulting in over 2,900 casualties. In April of 2013, brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who immigrated to the United States from Chechnya, Russia, bombed the annual Boston Marathon, causing the death of three and the injury of 264.

Who’s to say the Syrian refugees won’t do the same? How can the U.S. government know these migrants won’t in some way attack America? If not in the present, could the immigrants eventually attack America sometime in the future? President Obama and those in his administration are applauded on their polite gesture, but shouldn’t the president assure the safety of his own people first instead of those of the refugees?

• Tomatalk Show

The Tomatalk Show

• Refugees flee the Middle East to Europe and the U.S.

2019

Perfect Prom assembly

2019

All eyes on us

News

News bits locally and from around the globe

• Arts & Entertainment

Deadly Challenges

• 2019

Shazam Movie

• 2019

Looking back at the boys soccer team

• Arts & Entertainment

Photography as an art definitely lives at our school

• 2019

Kamiakin FFA scores big at metal art contest

Arts & Entertainment

Aquaman: Review