Senior class of 2017 graduates, Braves say goodbye

Taylor Hunzeker

Madison Morgan, Editor-in-Chief

On the count of three, hundreds of red and gold balloons flew through the clear blue sky. Beneath them, students were hugging, taking pictures, and swallowing the reality that it was over. For seniors at Kamiakin, they had just completed their last day as Braves, and were preparing to take the next steps in their lives.

Madison Morgan
The senior class releasing balloons June 1.

The 2017 senior class graduated at 12 p.m. June 3 at the Toyota Coliseum, and finally said goodbye to friends, teachers, and classmates.

“It’s kind of bittersweet, but mostly it’s felt like time has just flown by really fast. It seems like this is just a practice run for the real graduation next year. I’m going to miss everyone and all the experiences and memories I’ve had. It’s been a good time,” said senior Sam Perrins.

Senior Savannah Forbes shared the sentiment, saying that she felt it wasn’t real.

“It’s kind of a surreal feeling. I really feel like I was just a freshman just yesterday and here I am done,” said senior Savannah Forbes. “It hasn’t hit yet. Like I’ll just come back tomorrow and go back to school and everything will be normal.”

I’m going to miss everyone and all the experiences and memories I’ve had. It’s been a good time,” said Perrins.

Dalaney Torelli
The graduating class of 2017 at the June 3 commencement.

Seniors also had advice for underclassmen, and Perrins stressed the importance of reaching out, and getting to know fellow Braves.

“You should reach out to as many people as possible. When you’re having a bad day personally there’s countless other people round you who are having a bad day. You reaching out to them could be the one thing that makes their day better. So always be looking for opportunities to talk to people. Don’t be scared to approach strangers. You could make their day,” said Perrins.

Forbes also said that students should put in the time and effort not only to get to know others, but to also become involved in extra curricular activities.

“Enjoy every day. I know that’s so cliché but [senior year] goes by so fast. And you get to the end and it’s over. Just make all the memories you can while you have the chance,” said Forbes.

“I learned that your high school experience is what you make of it. If you put a lot into it and into the people here at Kamiakin and the clubs and the sports and all the activities, then you’re going to get a lot out of [high school]. You’re going to have a good experience. But if you don’t then high school won’t be great for you. You have to put in what you want to get out,” said Forbes.

Both Perrins and Forbes talked about the importance of enjoying senior year, saying that students should cherish their last year at high school because before they know it it’ll be over.

• Senior class of 2017 graduates, Braves say goodbye

News

Knowledge Bowl wins first place at Oct. 24 competition

Sports

Kamiakin Southridge game emphasized seniors, Pink Week theme

Feature

Junior shares her battle with cancer

News

Artist visits Kamiakin Oct. 25

News

Former students find success in the ‘real world’

Sports

Kamiakin defeats Kennewick in a 35-12 homecoming football game

Feature

2017 Homecoming royalty announced

News

The end of DACA to affect more than 50 Kamiakin students

News

Football team accused of disrespecting National Anthem

Opinion

School spirit and how students show it