School shooting sparking school walkouts

A group of Kennewick High School students gather in front of the school in February to show their support for the school shooting victims in Florida. School officials said students are free to express their First Amendment rights, but they will be considered unexcused for any classes they may miss.

Courtesy of Bob Brawdy

Courtesy of Bob Brawdy

Clara Hillyer, Staff Reporter

The school shooting on Feb. 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida has sparked the topic of school walkouts.

Those participating in the walkouts have cited their need to protest about gun laws and the safety of students at school as their reasons for walking out.

Walkouts have been a topic of interest at schools across the country. Many people have a very strong opinion about them.

“I never want any adult or child to ever experience what I did. Please, do not become desensitized to tragedies like this. Fearing for your life at a place meant to grow and to learn should not become normalized in our society. We should stand up and fight for a safer future,” tweeted Natasha from Parkland, Florida

Over the past two weeks after the horrific massacre in Parkland, many teenagers are marching, organizing, and planning school walkouts on social media to protest. Many students want to just feel safe while at school.  “There are three different nation actions already announced to end gun violence in America. March 14: @WomensMarch Action. March 24: #MarchForOurLives. April 20: #NationalSchoolWalkout” tweeted “March For Our Lives.”

“National School Walkout” made a tweet that said, “There may be different dates, but this is one movement!”

On this coming Wednesday, students across the nation plan to walk out for 17 minutes, one minute for every kid that passed away in the Florida shooting. People walking out are hoping for people to acknowledge them and change the laws around our country to make kids in school feel safer and change state laws about guns.