“Make America Great Again” flag and “Build the wall” chants at Kamiakin football game sparks rebellion

Thomas Metcalf, Editor-in-Chief

Ever since the election of President Donald Trump, political tensions have been at a high point in the United States.

But as of recently, these tensions have become a lot more local.

On Friday, Oct. 5, Kamiakin High School’s football team played against Walla Walla. The student section always has a theme for their apparel. At this game, the theme was patriotism. So, to celebrate this, a few members of the student section decided to bring a “Make America Great Again” flag, which was the well-known slogan of President Trump’s campaign.

However, this was not the primary issue.

At the game, the student section was chanting “Build the wall” and other statements which were offensive to other students in attendance.

Not only did this hurt the students from our own school, of which we have close to 30 percent Latino. This created controversy between us and the other schools in the Tri-Cities.

Students protesting outside of Kamiakin. Courtesy Thomas Metcalf.

“I didn’t have a problem myself with them bringing the flag. It was just when they started chanting disrespectful stuff. Like there’s a respectful way to express your opinion and there’s a disrespectful way, and that’s what I felt was wrong in the school with the principal being there,” said senior Cielo Castor.

On Wednesday, Oct. 10 Castor attended the school board meeting to speak out about the issue.

“Mr. Bond talked about it and he said, ‘I was the principal for Kamiakin until 2008, so hearing that is completely heartbreaking and you having to endure that and come here because you don’t think that your school is doing enough is not okay and you should never be under those circumstances where you have to worry about what other students are going to say,’” said Castor about the superintendent’s reaction.

Throughout the week, several events occurred that made the tension escalate.

On Friday, Oct. 12, a large group of students participated in a walk out. Students wanted to protest what they believe is unequal treatment and their lack of a voice at school. 

Castor was asked what she thought of the walk out.

“At first, I did not like the idea of [the walk out]. If you really care about something, go yourself and talk about it because you walking out there and standing, it might make an impact, it might not, but when you go up to the higher level and you express your feelings, they’re gonna be taken more into consideration.”

The walkout began with a large turnout from around 11:20 until the end of the school day where numbers gradually lowered.