Scarlet Tide Marching Band performs at annual “Cavalcade of Bands” competition

Thomas Metcalf, Editor-in-Chief

The Kamiakin Scarlet Tide Marching Band performed at the Cavalcade of Bands marching band competition at Edgar Brown Stadium in Pasco on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Scarlet Tide’s show this year, titled “Español Oscuro,” is about the the Day of the Dead, a traditional celebration of the life of loved ones in Mexican culture. The show has many colors, props, and musical features.

Junior Alexus Myers leads the brass in a warm up before the performance. Courtesy Stephen Osmonson.

“I think compared to other years and proportionally, we are physically louder sound-wise. I think logistically, [Cavalcade] also went very very well. It was super smooth and nothing went wrong,” said senior drum major Stephen Osmonson.

Scarlet Tide competed against almost two dozen bands at Cavalcade and took the award for “Best Auxiliary” with a score of 64.25 and 5th place in the AA Division.

“For the band in general, I think it was definitely a good performance for us. It wasn’t our best, but it was one of our better [performances] that represents how the quality of the band is this year which I think so far we are doing pretty good,” said senior drum major Logan Terry.

The competition itself had 21 total competing bands, including other schools from the area such as Hanford, Richland, Southridge, and Chiawana. At the end of finals, Central Valley High School from Spokane Valley took the sweepstakes award with a score of 84.815, a whole 4 points above first place West Valley.

Terry believes that Scarlet Tide has much to improve on. “Overall, just everyone being more confident on what they need to do, whether that be visual or music, just be more confident so you don’t have as many, like, ‘oh where do I go now’ or as many hesitations.”

Scarlet Tide’s next competitions are at Washington State University for the WSU Marching Band Championships and in Auburn for the Veteran’s Day Marching Band Competition.