Pink Week

Cancer Awareness at Kamiakin High School

The Cancer awareness symbol with a pink back drop.

jpalinsad360

jpalinsad360

Meriah Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 38.4 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with cancer at some point during their lifetimes. In 2017, an estimated 15,270 children and adolescents ages 0 to 19 were diagnosed with cancer, and 1,790 died of the disease.

At some point in every person’s life, cancer will affect and impact them. No one wants to be diagnosed with cancer, and no one wants to receive the call that their loved one is diagnosed with cancer.

Here at Kamiakin is a yearly event called Pink Week set in cancer awareness month, meant to spread awareness of the very real and daunting truth of the reach which cancer has on the people in our community.

Monday students were asked to wear yellow to represent bladder cancer. The most common symptom is blood in the urine. It is estimated that 17,240 deaths (12,520 men and 4,720 women) from this disease will occur this year. Bladder cancer mostly affects older people, 90 percent being over the age of 50.

Tuesday students wore blue to symbolize colon cancer. There are more than 200,000 U.S. cases every year. The most common side effects are changes in bowel or bowel habits, stool consistency, blood in the stool, and abdominal pain or discomfort.

Wednesday was dedicated to skin cancer, the abnormal growth of skin cells, where students wore black. Symptoms vary and often include a growth or lump on skin, and growth or change in an existing mole.

Since there was no school on Friday, Thursday was the last day of pink week. Students wore pink to signify breast cancer. About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12.4 percent) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. In 2018, an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 63,960 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed. With breast cancer being the most common in women, about  40,920 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2018 from it, quite a dark and unfortunate conviction.

Kamiakin also holds a fundraiser throughout Pink Week where members of ASB go from room to room during first hour every day of the week, Monday through Thursday in this case, to collect money which will then be donated to a the Cancer Center. 

The goal for the amount of money raised was set at $7,000. 

On Wednesday, the day before the last, the amount obtained was slightly over $4,000 dollars. In past years, the student body managed to raise more than $20,000, so the amount was less than what it usually is, but the Cancer Center spoke at our assembly and said they appreciated our efforts.  

Whatever the reason for such a drastic change, the fight against cancer is still a raging and endless war with many losses to its battles. Any one of the people who attended the assembly on Thursday could just as probably become a victim to cancer, just as the family members of the speakers who shared such tragic anecdotes of their cancer stories.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics

Pink Week