Retiring faculty reflect on their time at Kamiakin

Alison Fellman, Entertainment Editor

Spanish teacher Tomasa Bayona

Q: Do you have any special memories that will stay with you after you retire?

Tomasa Bayona taught Spanish at Kamiakin for 27 years: “Everyday interaction with the students. Sometimes they are funny…sometimes not too funny. They have their own way to express themselves. One of my very special moments was one of the assemblies, when the same students when they were freshmen and the same students who [are now] seniors-they danced to a song that they learned in my class, a flamenco dance. That was very special.”

Rhonda Crosby, attendance secretary at Kamiakin for four years: “I have some kids that I have enjoyed getting to know and talking to. I want to keep in touch with them after I’m no longer working. There’s a few that have come in and just kind of gotten in my heart, and I want to keep in touch with them to see how their life goes.”

Anna Haines, art teacher: “I did yearbook for 17 years, so I always enjoyed when the anticipation for yearbooks came. Or when the kids get their ‘aha!’ moments and something works right.”

Q: Do you have any plans for once you retire?

Cynthia Miller taught Family and Consumer Sciences for 34 years: “I’m going to go hike on the Appalachian trail for a couple days. I’ve been a backpacker and hiker for many, many years and I’ve hiked around the Pacific Northwest a lot, but I’ve never been back East. It’s kind of a bucket list thing of mine to do. I love the mountains, [they] kind of give me my spiritual fulfillment, to go where there’s trees.

Attendance secretary Rhonda Crosby

Bayona: “I’m going to spend more time with my grandson [and family]. They live in San Francisco, so I will have the freedom to travel back and forth or maybe moving [there] to be close to them. I’m going to Spain the first of October as a gift from my daughter for my retirement. We will [also] be travelling in Europe-I would like to go to Italy, to visit Rome to see the Vatican because I’m Catholic.”

Crosby: “We’re going to travel some, but I’m just looking forward to spending time with my grandkids. I’m looking forward to spending lots of time with my new puppy.”

Haines: “We have an ocean trip coming up right after [school] gets out for a couple days. We’re going back to New York City, and we’re going to travel internationally to Spain probably.

Q: Do you have any advice for teachers who are just starting out?

Haines: “You have to be firm, and you have to be consistent. Remember that everything is gonna be okay [even] if it’s not planned down to the last detail, [while at the same time] plan for more than you have time for because it’s always gonna help you if you rush through. Look at the kids, and adjust the lesson plan to them. Have fun with them, and remember that every kid has a story, and just remember that they are all individuals.”

Q: As a teacher, kids learn from you every day. Is there anything you’ve learned from kids?

Haines: “I learn from kids probably every day. They bring in things that they work on. They’ve introduced me to artists that I didn’t know about before.”

Bayona: “[That] every day is different, you never know what a day is going to bring.”

Family and Consumer Sciences teacher Cynthia Miller

Miller: “They’ve taught me how to be patient, how to be consistent and kind, and to treat everybody the same. That all people are hurting and all people need love, and all people, no matter who they are, girl-boy, what culture they come from, we’re all basically the same inside, and we all need to be treated as kindly as possible.”

Happy retirement!