Sophistication in writing at risk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophistication in writing at risk

The writing reads "I thought I would practice a lost art. But you're looking at it. Apparently cursive writing is now on the endangered list."

Kaylee Zuhlke, Staff Reporter

For years, there has been speculation of dropping the education of cursive writing out of the Elementary school curriculum. However, many still consider the effect it could take on the next generation of youth. For example, if children cannot write cursive, how are they supposed to read and comprehend the writing of others? Especially with much older generations, some personal handwriting features a consecutive blend of print and cursive that will be deemed unreadable by those with eyes blind to the likes of cursive. On the other hand, we must remember that in today’s day and age, printing papers off of a computer and viewing text on digital screens have definitely gained popularity over traditionally writing a letter to get your thoughts across.

Some might say that learning cursive is a direct path to encouraging more creativity and individuality later in life. Also, it may curve some student’s into the field of the arts and spark an interest that they never knew they had. Overall, removing cursive writing techniques from the nationwide school curriculum would change penmanship forever. We may be in a technological revolution, where learning proper usage of a computer is considered more important, but who says we should stray from our age-old roots?