The Significance of the Homecoming Nominations and Ceremony

Louis Barrett, Staff Reporter

Emily Tyler (left) and Aubrey Pruneda (right)

We only get to be in high school for so long until the adult world takes us by storm. Many occasions allow for us to embrace our young adulthood—such as prom later in the year, or last Saturday’s homecoming. Only a select few get enough votes to be crowned a nominee for the title of homecoming  king or queen; with such, the impact it has on the selected students and their peers is priceless.

Aubrey Pruneda, senior queen nominee and ASB officer said, “It definitely made me feel more included in the school, like I wasn’t completely invisible for once. I didn’t even care about winning queen. The fact I was nominated was so cool, and I was really excited about going onto the field in my dress.”

For those who feel less involved or left out of their school environment, recognition in school events such as these mean a ton. To give a voice to those less popular is a step forward.

Most students never get the opportunity of obtaining a homecoming title, even if it’s only relevant for such a short period of time. Each nominee has their own story, along with reasons for being voted upon. The homecoming ceremony unveils one of them to be crowned before all. While a special moment indeed, the ceremony is more than picking one over the other. It is a moment to reflect upon and feel proud of all those who made it far enough to get the chance.

“People get so caught up in winning, but honestly, being nominated means so much more! Someone took the time to physically type your name out, instead of just tapping on it,” said Pruneda.

With this in mind, during the ceremony, one may even forget the crowd is there because of the floating feeling the moment provides. This sentiment branches out to more than just the nominees, but to their friends and fellow students as well. Despite homecoming happening four times in a student’s high school career, each one is truly a once in a lifetime experience. Let’s hope that more students who feel detached from the limelight can receive such an honor in the years to come.