The many issues of ‘Run Kano’

Thomas Metcalf, Editor-in-Chief

Courtesy Thomas Metcalf

Run Kano. They have been the words to live by at Kamiakin for a very long time.

It means that we, as a school, come together as one tribe to run Kamiakin and be the best we can be.

But recently, the definition of this statement has run dry. Kamiakin has become more divided in the last few weeks than it ever has at the fault of the people who lead it: the Run Kano leaders.

The division of Kamiakin began at a football game on Oct. 5 where the theme of the student section was red, white, and blue. Some students, several of which were Run Kano leaders, brought a “Make America Great Again” flag which associates with President Donald Trump and his political agenda. The leaders led the section in chants such as “Build the wall,” which is a reference to President Trump’s plan of building a wall at the border of Mexico and the United States as a way to prevent undocumented immigrants from crossing into the U.S.

At school-related functions like this, politics should not be present. Unless it’s a part of the class, politics should have no home at Kamiakin, whether they be sporting events, assemblies, or other school sanctioned events.

If the Run Kano leaders are the ones supporting something as controversial as this, then they are not qualified to be in such a position of power. Run Kano is a school-sanctioned club that should not be expressing political views, especially ones which pull the school apart from each other when the club’s purpose is to bring everyone together.

Sure, some students were simply expressing their opinions, and others in the student section could have just been joking and following along with the chants, but a joke can still have harmful effects on others, in this case, the minority students of Kamiakin.

As a result of this lack of leadership, students have resorted to walking out to attempt to become heard about the unfair treatment at Kamiakin. If there were leaders that could bring everyone together at Kamiakin, then this would never have been an issue.

In the end, politics have no place in school-sanctioned activities and Run Kano should be the head example of this. They’re not pulling the school together as one like they’re supposed to, and instead ended up breaking it apart more than it ever has been.

The many issues of ‘Run Kano’