To all first-time voters at Kamiakin

Alison Fellman, Entertainment Editor

Think of a family member. Maybe a grandparent, an aunt or uncle, a parent. Think of the clothes your grandmother wears. Would you let your grandmother pick out your clothes?

Would you let your grandmother organize your Spotify playlist?

The majority of young people would say no. Hard no. So, if you wouldn’t let a family member dictate something as small as what you wear or what kind of music you listen to, why would you let them dictate what your generation’s future will look like?

That’s what happens when young people don’t vote. You let other people decide what’s best for you, instead of you deciding what’s best for you.

There are many remarkable things about us young people. We represent more than a quarter of the United States’ population. We’re the most diverse age group in the nation, and we are the best-educated generation. There are a lot of things to be proud of as a young person. However, millennials and young people get a bad rep. We’re often called lazy, entitled, and whiny. Young people are clearly irked by these characterizations, so why do we risk proving them right when we slack when it’s time to do our most important civic duty?

According to civicyouth.org, 46 million people ages 18 to 29 are eligible to vote, while 39 million seniors are eligible to vote. Despite this, young people and millennials have the lowest voter turnout of any age group in America.

Only 10 million people ages 18-29 voted in the 2014 midterm elections-around 21.7 percent. Let’s make the upcoming midterms different.

There is no good excuse not to vote. You don’t know much about the candidates running in your town, city or state? We’ve grown up in the age of technology, and information is available at our fingertips. You don’t think your vote will matter? That’s exactly what some politicians want you to think. There are politicians out there who count on young people not voting, because it allows things to stay the same. This generation is known for striving for change, and when we vote, things have the ability to change. Voting is the best way to ensure that your concerns matter.

With voter suppression on the rise it is so important, now more than ever, that people get out to vote. Especially young people. Let’s show everyone that we can advocate for ourselves and our peers.

To all the first-time voters who have come of age at Kamiakin: Come November 6 on election day, after having made an informed decision, get out and vote. Bring your passion and opinions to the polls. Don’t disenfranchise yourselves. Vote.

*Bonus: You’ll get a cool sticker.

To all first-time voters at Kamiakin