Freshman basketball wins against Kennewick Dec. 17

Madison Morgan

Madison Morgan and Makenna Morgan, Editor-in-Chief and Guest Reporter

The tension was palpable. Both teams were tied, and there was only one period left. White and orange clashed together as the boys ran up and down the court, desperately trying to score their team the winning basket.

Madison Morgan
Guards Garrett Grillo (left) and Cole Childers (right).

Madison Morgan
The freshman basketball team at the Dec. 17 game against Kennewick High School.

The Dec. 17 freshman boys basketball game between the Braves and the Kennewick Lions was intense. Kamiakin led the game for a majority of the first two periods, but in the second half was tied with Kennewick, until they managed to make a basket with two seconds left in the fourth quarter.

“The atmosphere was very surreal and exciting. It was fun to see how many people showed up, and you could definitely tell that it was a cross city game. I never doubted that we would win, our team all knew that we needed to keep competing and keep the pressure on them,” said guard Jeremiah Kennell.

Madison Morgan
Guard and forward Niko Wiltz shooting a basket.

In the first period, the Braves were ahead of the Lions 14-10. They were down in the second period, with a 22-24 score, but ended the third period 36-36.

The beginning of the fourth period saw one basket to each team, tying them again at 38-38. Throughout the rest of the quarter Kamiakin was down until forward Kyson Rose tied it 50-50 with a one point free throw shot. With two seconds left on the clock, still at 50-50, the game winning basket was made by guard and forward Niko Wiltz. Kamiakin managed to beat Kennewick 52-50.

“I was a little worried about the score in the second half but I knew we would find a way to get some points and get the win,” said guard Garrett Grillo.

This year’s freshman team includes Cole Childers, Garrett Grillo, Niko Wiltz, Alexz Cook, Jeremiah Kennell, Jayson Nguyen, Matthew Roth, Ayden Kissell, Lukas Ruehl, Kyson Rose, Derek Marshall, and Sam Chestnut. The team is coached by Justin Kelly.

Grillo said the team’s goals are to always play as a team, citing the word “together” as important to them. He also said he’d like to see the team improve for the more difficult games down their path.

“I’d like to see us become better players and become a better team so we can get ready for more challenging games like that one vs. Kennewick,” said Grillo.

For more information on the boys freshmen basketball team, visit kamiakinbasketball.com/team/freshmen.

Madison Morgan

Madison Morgan
Guard Cole Childers against the Kennewick team.

Madison Morgan
Kennewick and Kamiakin players swarm the key after the Braves make a basket.